Friday, June 20, 2014

Saucy Skincare Review: Valentia "Even Glow" Vitamin C Serum


Disclosure: I got this product as part of an advertorial. 
_________________________________________________________________________

Vitamin C serums... like I mentioned in my previous post, vitamin c serums are one of the hottest ingredient trends currently in the beauty industry. Now, we all know what vitamin c does, right? ... or do we just know that its yummy and in citrus fruits and is, apparently, really goddamn good for you.. after all, its a vitamin, so knowing that its good for you is a no-brainer. But, what exactly does it do for your skin?

Well well well. Lucky for you, I'm a total nerd. So much that I honestly and truly really do love researching skincare ingredients and what they do for your skin. So, I start by simply googling "benefits of vitamin c in skincare" ...and I get almost 3,000,000 results. So yeah, that's that. You can discover the benefits of vitamin C in skincare on beauty / wellness oriented sites, like here, here, and here. Even Dr. Oz believes in the benefits of vitamin c! And, for you huge research nerds like me that need a more reputable, medical oriented source, you can check out the many benefits of vitamin c herehere, and here (though some would debate that WebMD is certainly not a reputable source.. my psychology professors at Suffolk University would definitely not approve of WebMD in any of my research papers, but I do have an NIH research article linked up there too, sooo..)

Okay. So, now that we know that you can find nearly 3,000,000 articles relating to how vitamin c is uber awesome for your skin, let's some it up, shall we?

Vitamin C...

- Protects skin cells from UV related damage
- Strengthens skin's barrier response
- Promotes collagen production
- Reduces inflammation

What this basically means is that topical vitamin c will make you look younger and more radiant. More than consuming 1,000 oranges and cute little clementines will. It will also not only help protect against future environmental damage, but can actually help reverse some of the bad stuff you got going on already (wrinkles, sun spots, acne scarring).

Valentia Skincare was nice enough to send me a bottle of their even glow vitamin c serum to review, so here goes. The first thing that I noticed about their product was the smell. Most vitamin c serums that I've used don't really smell, but this serum actually smells like fresh oranges. A huge plus! The texture is very watery, and the instructions say that you have to shake the bottle before applying since some of the ingredients settle on the bottom. I use about 5 drops for my face and neck every night, though I really need to get into the habit to apply to my decollete as well. The product absorbs pretty quickly too, as serums usually do.

After using this product for a few weeks, I am sad to say that I didn't notice much of a difference in my skin. I know, right?! Skincare FAIL. But, have no fear! Its only been a few weeks. It may need more time to do its magic. Anyway, this is a 20% vitamin c serum. Pretty potent. Plus, remember- almost 3,000,000 google results advocating how awesome vitamin c is for your skin. PLUS it has all sorts of other cool natural ingredients, such as seabuckthorn oil, hyaluronic acid, rosehip oil, green tea extract, and plant stem cells. What's not to love?

Conclusion: Give vitamin C serums a chance, guys. The research is there. This product is packed full of good stuff to the skin, so, though I may not have seen dramatic results instantly, I know that I'm giving my skin some fun-lovin' attention. Oh, and btw, you can expect to see more vitamin c serum reviews in my future. I already have two more on the way ;)

ta da! 


 I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment