Thursday, January 15, 2015

A Gentler Way of Exfoliating: A Review of Oleavine's Konjac Sponge

(Hopefully) we all know that exfoliating should be a necessary part of our skincare regimen. Regular exfoliation sloughs off dead skin cells and unclogs pores, leaving a smoother, brighter, more even complexion less prone to blackheads and breakouts.

Of course, not all exfoliants are created equal! There are granules, acids, and facial tools that all provide ways of exfoliating the skin. These methods can range from uber gentle to crazy rough (think super strong chemical peel that can only be done in the doctor's office versus a really mild everyday cleansing scrub). Oleavine sent me one of their konjac sponges to try out, and I'm pretty into it.

Oleavine provides a ton of information on their konjac sponges, which come in four different varieties, on their webpage that I encourage you to check out. In the meantime, here's a summary of what they have to say about it:

100% Plant Based Konjac Sponges have been a beauty secret in Asian cultures for decades. Often called the “Miracle Sponge” by our customers because this luxuriously soft sponge gently exfoliates & cleanses, is naturally pH balanced, promotes circulation, absorbs toxins and fights bacteria while leaving your face glowing and refreshed. You don’t even need to use a face cleanser, unless you want to.

    Gently Exfoliates
    Deeply Cleanses
    Effectively Detoxifies
    Luxuriously Refreshes
    Naturally Moisturizes

The Secret Is In The Fibers!

The unique net-like structure of the natural vegetable fibers helps to deeply clean, remove blackheads, promote blood circulation and stimulates skin cell renewal without the irritation caused by traditional exfoliating methods.

Made From 100% Pure Konjac


The Konjac used in our beauty sponge is grown on the volcanic plains of UNESCO protected Jeju Island in South Korea.

Our pure Konjac grown in this pristine protected environment is free from chemicals, pollution and irritants. 100% biodegradable and sustainable, this moisture dense plant fiber is naturally alkaline to balance the acidity of skin oils and impurities.


Konjac, which is a perennial plant found in tropical parts of Asia, is actually commonly consumed as a jelly and is used more for its texture than its flavor. To my surprise, it is also a common substitute used in vegan seafood. In skincare, the fibers of the konjac sponge are perfect to gently exfoliate and unclog pores. If you're interested in reading more about the konjac sponge, check out this great Refinery 29 article that I found.

As for Oleavine's konjac sponge:

Oleavine's konjac sponges come in four varieties, each with their own unique benefits- bamboo charcoal, french green clay, french red clay, and pure original. They sent me one of their "pure original" sponges to try, which is supposed to be the most gentle of the four and therefore suitable for all skin types, including sensitive.

This sponge is, well.. a sponge! So, you need to thoroughly wet it to make it soft and easy for use. It's pretty big too- bigger than other konjac sponges I have tried- so be patient as you get it wet. In fact, Oleavine provided some useful instructions to care for this sponge. See below, folks!



After applying my usual amount of cleanser to the sponge, I noticed that it lathered a ton, more than usual. Make a mental note: This allows you to use less cleanser, thus providing more value. Cool.

The sponge felt super gentle and almost comforting on my face. It felt so nice and soft and not rough at all, like some exfoliants I have tried. Plus, the shape and size of this sponge is perfect. I have tried konjac sponges in the past that are literally about 20% of the size of this one and come in a circle shape. I love the way that this sponge comes to a point at the end, making it easy to apply to the hairline and around the nose area..all the nooks and crannies!

After cleansing with just this sponge and cleanser for a few days, I realized that I missed my usual exfoliator. While I love the konjac sponge, I can't say that it alone provides enough exfoliation for my skin, though I'd definitely cut down on the amount of times that I exfoliate. For example, I use a very gentle strawberry rhubarb exfoliant by Eminence Organics. I used to use this exfoliant every other day, but now that I have my konjac sponge, I only use it twice each week.

Overall, I really love this sponge. The shape and size provide better quality and is more functional than other konjac sponges I have used. Though I would personally have chosen a different kind with my combination type skin (bamboo charcoal, maybe) the pure white konjac sponge is super gentle for all skin types- even babies. The fibers of this sponge make it a much more efficient tool than, say, washcloths do. Plus, it allows me to use less cleanser, making my cleanser last way longer. All in all, this sponge is definitely worth it.

You can purchase Oleavine's konjac sponge here on amazon. At $10, its completely worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/konjac-sponge-exfoliating-exfoliation-effectiveness/dp/b00pt75wl6/?keywords=konjac+sponge


No comments:

Post a Comment