Thursday, January 22, 2015

A Review of BRI Nutrition's Yacon Syrup: A Peruvian Superfood

Superfood? I think super"root" is more like it, as that's what yacon syrup comes from.
In Peru, yacon is known as "peruvian ground apple." It is native to South America and is actually in the same family as the sunflower- I never would have guessed that, since a yacon closely resembles a sweet potato and looks like this:
After seeing this picture, I'm starting to think that they actually sell these at my local grocery store.. hmmmm...

They say that the fruit tastes sweet and similar to an apple- hence the name nickname of "peruvian ground apple), but I wouldn't know,  since this review involves the syrup that comes from the root of this bad boy. The syrup from the yacon root was initially studied in diabetics. They found that its consumption helped lower insulin levels significantly...even though yacon syrup has a sweet taste, it contains molecules that are about half as sweet as sugar- but don't affect insulin levels.

In addition, after the "diabetic" study, they also found out that yacon syrup can help promote weight loss and suppress appetite. It has also been shown to have cancer-fighting properties and promotes la healthy liver.

To sum it up, here's a fun little pic I found that:


BRI Nutrition, a company that specializes in unique and cutting-edge diet and wellness products, sent me a bottle of their own yacon syrup. Here's what they say about it:


Discover A Natural Organic Substitute That Burns Fat: Yacon Syrup For Weight Loss

Top Rated Yacon Syrup - Pure Organic All Natural Premium Raw Yacon Root Extract From Peru

    Quality Sugar Substitute Super Food Seen On Dr. OZ
    Made For Diets, Weight Loss & Lean Living
    Made in the USA FDA Approved Processing Plant
    GMP Certified - 8oz - 48 Servings

What Is Organic Yacon Syrup Allergenic?

Yacon Syrup is 100% organic and does not contain traces of soy, wheat, gluten, flour or dairy which are components identified to cause mild side effects on the body such as bloating, nausea, and constipation. These allergenic can also cause some serious allergic reactions such as rash and itching in some people.



And this is from their amazon product page:

HOW IT WORKS: Our Yacon Syrup is a 100 percent certified pure raw root extract from natural regions of Peru. This 8oz premium high essential fiber food has a sweet taste that you will love. Our Yacon Syrup has been shown to help with appetite suppression & increased rate of metabolism, helps lower cholesterol and blood sugar levels, improves immune system function & increase energy levels.

WHAT IT IS: Yacon is an important natural source of FOS (fructooligosaccharides) which is a vital source of fiber for an healthy digestive balance and good probiotic function. This type of fiber passes through the digestive tract un-metabolized and has a very low caloric value. This natural source of fiber has been shown to slow food transit time and support healthy blood sugar levels which can assist in reducing food cravings and aid in weight loss.


PURITY: 100% safe and natural. No fillers or artificial ingredients. We use only the very best, scientifically-tested ingredients, all of which are manufactured in the US in a FDA-registered, state-of-the-art facility, with strict adherence to good manufacturing practices (GMPs). Every batch is third party tested to ensure the ingredients are safe and pure.

So, we see here that a teaspoon of this stuff is low in calories, fat free, and even contains a little bit of potassium and calcium (and a super tiny amount of magnesium, but that's still something, right?!)

The Nitty Gritty:

Enough of my jabber, let's get to the actual review. Okay, okay, here goes. When I first opened the bottle, I was a bit taken aback by the smell- it's sweet, but slightly bitter. After tasting a little bit of the syrup, it tastes exactly like it smells- sweet and bitter, go figure. Also, it is very thick and dark brown in color.. nothing to be alarmed about, since this is a SYRUP, people! Think of molasses. It's like molasses, though probably a tad thinner.

They say that the best way to consume this is by taking a few teaspoons a day.. but I couldn't do it. The bitter, earthy taste got to me. But, I had a better idea- instead of choking down actual teaspoonfuls, why not use it in my food? Brilliant! Since then, I've been using this product in my cooking. For example, I'll add a serving to my daily smoothie. It adds sweetness, but the bitterness is masked by yummy fruits, vegetables, and protein powder. I do, however, have to keep shaking the drink, as the syrup tends to settle on the bottom.

I also like to use this in baking. Though I mostly bake healthy alternatives, such as high protein muffins and sweet potato pancakes, I find that yacon syrup is a perfect addition to my healthy snacks. For example, I throw 1-2 teaspoons into my delicious two ingredient sweet potato and egg pancake batter. The result is sweeter, more flavorful pancakes without a bitter aftertaste that the syrup alone would provide.

As far as the weight loss and appetite suppression goes... I don't think I personally use enough of this stuff to be able to say whether it contributes to weight loss. I know that I'm trying to lose weight, unsuccessfully as of recent. However, after adding this to my cooking, I notice that I do get filled up faster than usual. Also, let's not forget that legit research supports that, indeed, this product does contribute to weight loss. So, there ya go.

Overall, I think this is a fantastic product. For those looking for safe and healthy weight loss / appetite suppressant alternatives, I highly encourage you to try this product for yourself. I mean, why not? Use this instead of sugar in your food and, even if it doesn't make you lose weight, think of all of the other benefits you get from this.

You can purchase 8 ounces of BRI Nutrition's yacon syrup for $19.95 here on their webpage. For you amazon lovers, you can actually purchase it for $1 cheaper.

________________________________________________________________________________

Looking to learn more about yacon syrup and its research and benefits? Check out these pages:

"What are the Benefits of Yacon Syrup" - A Livestrong article
What is Yacon Syrup? - WiseGeek
Can Yacon Syrup Really Help You Lose Weight? An Objective Look- A wonderful article for research nerds like me, by Authority Nutrition

2 comments:

  1. Yacon syrup is 100% natural and additive free. It has many benefits which includes low calories, low glycemic index, weight loss properties, provides body with inulin.
    Organic raw yacon syrup

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all i would like to thank you for the great and informative entry. I has to admit that I have never heard about this information I have noticed many new facts for me. Thanks a lot for sharing this useful and attractive information and I will be waiting for other interesting posts from you in the nearest future. Keep it up..

    ReplyDelete